He’llberemembered claimed first prize in Thurles’ Premier County Hurdle for the second year in a row. Paul Fahey’s veteran was sent off at 5-4, with Moonshine Lad carrying the favourite’s tag at 9-10. That one got reminders down the back straight from Paul Carberry, however, and while he eventually responded, the effort to catch up took its toll as He’llberemembered kept going to triumph by three-quarters of a length. Press Association Fahey said: “You could run him anywhere. He’s probably one of the most consistent horses in training. “We bring him to Listowel every year. He hates it but we love it and that’s our excuse to go! He won’t go for the Kerry National any more as he just doesn’t jump the fences down there. “He’ll follow more or less the same plan as last year. He’ll be entered for the Paddy Power and we’ll look for a conditions race somewhere along the line.” Dazzling Susie made a successfully swift return to action in the Holycross Mares Chase. John Phelan’s 9-4 shot was pulled up at Cork last weekend, but led her rivals a merry dance here and when hot favourite Down Ace got close enough to challenge, Dazzling Susie went away again to score by five and a half lengths. Allied Victory’s (9-4 joint-favourite) success in the www.thurlesraces.ie Beginners Chase suggested he has a decent future. Making his fencing bow, the Mouse Morris-trained five-year-old jumped with aplomb in front and beat Kilcarry Bridge by six lengths, with something up his sleeve. That initiated a double for Bryan Cooper, which was completed when he steered 4-9 favourite Tiger Trek to a bloodless success in the Cashel Maiden Hurdle, and winning trainer Dessie Hughes completed a brace of his own when Sub Lieutenant landed the Munster INH Flat Race. Lone Star showed improvement between his first couple of outings under NH Rules and carried on that momentum with a nine-length defeat of Brog Deas Nua in the Devils Bit 3-Y-O Maiden Hurdle as the 6-4 favourite. Adrian Heskin had his first ride as number one jockey for leading owner Barry Connell in the race, but the Ted Walsh inmate went backwards a fair way from home and finished a tailed-off last.
“It’s a slightly inadequate trip, but he’ll be fit and well. It’s his first run, so we’ll see how we go. “Then it will be on to the Lexus, Irish Hennessy, the Gold Cup, that kind of plan at the moment. “He’ll be as fit as I can get him. It’s a Grade One, so it’s probably going to be a hard race. They need to be fit in order to take those races. “It’s 22 days to the Lexus after that, so you need to be fit going there. “It’s December 7, so hopefully the ground will be softish and safe. That’s the main thing.” Jim Culloty promises to have Lord Windermere as fit as possible for his seasonal reappearance in the John Durkan Memorial Chase at Punchestown on December 7. The Mallow trainer wants his Cheltenham Gold Cup winner to be in reasonable shape for his first run of the winter, with the intention then being to head for the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown three weeks later. “I’m very happy with him and the John Durkan is the plan,” Culloty told At The Races. Press Association
“Particularly in the second half, they just kept coming and went so many phases and defensive sets; the second half was probably one of the most exhausted I’ve been ever in an international match. “And the players were still talking to get up on your feet, the attitude and defensive effort was second to none. “Shaun (Edwards) has gone into detail in the week to cover their trick plays and what they do in attack. The boys took on all that information and detail and it definitely paid off. “Certain matches you can tell the players are extremely focused. You could tell it was one of those days where everyone was so desperate to get the result, going down to breakfast today, s o it was so satisfying to get that in the end.” Gatland admitted experienced prop Jenkins will “probably” miss the trip to Rome next weekend, with young props Rob Evans and Aaron Jarvis now likely to be pressed into service from the off. Wales’ Kiwi boss continues to hold out hope that Scarlets tighthead Lee’s Achilles injury is not a long-term problem. Should the 22-year-old end up with a lengthy spell on the sidelines, thoughts could inevitably turn to a recall for Cardiff Blues’ British and Irish Lion Adam Jones, who retired from Test rugby in January. “Samson’s got an Achilles injury, we’re going to get him seen later on or tomorrow,” said Gatland. “We had to get Gethin through a tight calf before the game and then after about 10 minutes he pulled his hamstring. “So we’d lost Samson and we knew we couldn’t get 80 minutes out of Gethin then either, so for him to dig deep and get through to half-time showed a lot about him and the character of this team. “The initial thoughts on Samson are not great, I’m not a medic but it doesn’t look good. “We’re only speculating at the moment so hopefully it’s not a full rupture, which would potentially be long-term and World Cup stuff. “So we’ve got to wait until he’s been scanned and checked out and then we can start trying to get him right again.” Dejected head coach Joe Schmidt insisted “it’s not back to the drawing board” for Ireland, who suffered their first defeat in 11 matches. The former New Zealand schoolteacher admitted Wales beat Ireland at their own game, dominating the tactical kicking battle that has been such a strength for Schmidt’s side. “Yeah; it’s funny there wasn’t really that much tempo earlier in the game,” said Schmidt when asked if Wales adopted Ireland-style tactics in victory. “The tempo came into the game in the second quarter. “They won the first four balls in the air, so they did really well. “And I don’t think you can take anything away from Leigh Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts in the way that they did that. “The strategy was the same as it has been for the last few weeks: and it’s not back to the drawing board for us. “I think if you start to throw the baby out with the bathwater, it’s pretty hard to start all over again.” Former Leinster boss Schmidt did, however, admit “concern” with Ireland’s failure to convert 64 per cent possession and 66 per cent territory into any tries. “I think there is concern: we went out with a plan in the second half expecting to accumulate points if we played and won a number of penalties,” said Schmidt. “But the penalties didn’t come in the second half, so we didn’t achieve anything with that strategy, apart from some really good play.” Samson Lee could miss the rest of the tournament with an Achilles tendon injury, but Wales boss Warren Gatland is holding out hope the prop has not suffered a full tear. Wales could yet claim the RBS 6 Nations title with a hefty victory over Italy in Rome next weekend but must do so without Gethin Jenkins, who suffered a hamstring problem. Captain Sam Warburton hailed spoiling Ireland’s Grand Slam hopes as among his best moments in Test rugby after Wales’ stubborn 23-16 victory in Cardiff. Lock Luke Charteris made a startling 37 tackles as Wales thumped themselves and Ireland into a standstill: Warburton made 30 tackles himself in his record 34th Test as Wales skipper. “That was as satisfying as the win we had against South Africa in the autumn, England in 2013 and probably the quarter-final against Ireland in 2011,” said Warburton. “And that’s because Ireland are that good: they had won 10 in a row and they are third in the world. “So we knew it had to be one of our very best performances that we’ve had to get a win today. “They were chasing a Grand Slam and they had all the motivation in the world as well. “I was on the floor at the end of the game, I looked up and I saw (referee) Wayne Barnes’ arm rise for our side, and I just punched the air on the floor. “It’s one of the best feelings I’ve ever had in a Wales shirt so I’m extremely happy with that. “The reason we made that many tackles was because Ireland kept the ball extremely well. Press Association
“We got the momentum going, the crowd stayed with us throughout – I thought they were terrific – and we are still in the competition.” Poland boss Adam Nawalka was understandably disappointed to see his side succumb at the death, but pleased with the performance. Nawalka said: “We won a point at a very difficult ground to play at, so we are happy. Of course, we conceded a goal in added time and that definitely hurt. “It was a battle and until the end, we fought that battle. We lost a goal at the very last minute in added time, but all the players fought up until then very hard. “Overall, I believe the result was a fair scoreline. We played a very good first half and maybe lacked a bit of quality, but overall, we are content with a draw. “Three points were really close, but one point is also a good result. It’s no surprise that Ireland came back to score an equaliser because the other results show that they know how to play to the end and get a result in their favour at the end of the game.” Shane Long’s last-gasp equaliser snatched a 1-1 draw with Group D leaders Poland at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday night and kept alive Ireland’s hopes of claiming one of the two automatic qualification places. However, they now sit in fourth place in the group – three points behind the Poles and two adrift of Germany and the Scots, making the showdown with Gordon Strachan’s side in Dublin crucial. O’Neill said: “Naturally, it’s a very, very important game. I think we’d have to beat Scotland. I think it probably just boils down to that – we have to win that game. “If the second-half showing is anything to go by, I think we are capable of doing it. “Whatever we may lack, courage and spirit are not among them. I don’t think it’s a fluke now that we have scored late goals in games. That’s three times now we have scored recently in the last few moments. We also hit the bar against Scotland. “I know they are cliched phrases, but it does show something about the character of the team. At least we keep going right to the end, and who knows? Who knows, (the draw against Poland) might be an important point.” Slawomir Peszko looked to have maintained Poland’s charge towards the finals with his 26th-minute strike giving them an advantage they maintained until stoppage time at the end of the game. However, having twice been rescued by the post as first Robbie Brady and then Robbie Keane were denied, substitute Long stabbed home a priceless 91st-minute equaliser to rescue a point and keep Ireland’s hopes of a top-two finish alive. O’Neill, who saw John O’Shea deny Germany in similar fashion in October, said: “We started off tentatively in the game. We were a little bit nervous and, just when we started to get into the game we conceded, from our viewpoint, a very poor goal which puts you on the back foot. “But our second-half performance was simply terrific. We dominated from the 45th minute to the 90th and we put Poland on the back foot. We created a number of chances – we certainly deserved at least a draw in the game, and perhaps we could easily have won it maybe if there had been a few more minutes left. Martin O’Neill is targeting victory over Scotland in June to ignite the Republic of Ireland’s bid to make the Euro 2016 finals. Press Association
Press Association Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has said he will not sell the club until they win a trophy or qualify for the Champions League. He told Sky Sports: “I will continue my policy of investing in the football club. “I shan’t be selling the club until we win something. Not at any price. When I say win something, if we get in a position of Champions League that equals winning something.” The Magpies’ run of one draw and nine defeats in their last 10 games has prompted a concerted backlash from fans, some of whom have boycotted home games in protest at the way the club is being run by Ashley. The ‘Ashley Out’ group called on supporters to occupy St James’ Park after the final whistle of the match against West Ham – regardless of what happened on the pitch. However, the owner insisted things were not as negative around the club. Ashley said: ” The only positive we’ve got is the club is on a very sound financial footing, so we are able to spend and punch above our weight with the financial situation the club finds itself in. Ashley has been criticised for giving caretaker-manager John Carver the job for the remainder of the season, following the departure of Alan Pardew at the start of the year. On the next manager, the 50-year-old explained: “It is the job of (managing director) Lee Charnley and the football board to make football decisions, as it was with (former managing director) Derek Llambias picking Alan Pardew. “I will not be picking the next manager. My job is to make sure they have the maximum amount of financial resources and it is their job to get the best pound-for-pound value out of those resources. “But to make it categorically clear – I’m not going anywhere until we win something.” The Sports Direct tycoon has often been criticised by sections of the Magpies support for putting profit ahead of on-pitch performances, with the club going into their final Premier League match of the season facing the threat of relegation. But Ashley, who has rarely if ever spoken to the media on sporting matters, broke cover to pledge his determination to improve matters at St James’ Park.
Press Association Chelsea owner Abramovich was pictured meeting players at training, and it has been reported he moved to allay any fears they may have had following Jose Mourinho’s exit on Thursday. Former Holland boss Hiddink told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf he was in London on Friday to discuss a short-term role with Chelsea, following Mourinho’s departure. Just seven months after leading Chelsea to the title Mourinho has left by “mutual consent” according to the club’s official statement. Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo cited “palpable discord” between the manager and players for Mourinho’s departure however. Russian billionaire Abramovich will now hope to complete swift negotiations over a second caretaker stint for Hiddink. The 69-year-old guided Chelsea to the 2009 FA Cup in a short-term deal, and is now primed to reprise that role. Roman Abramovich swept into Chelsea’s Cobham training ground on Friday amid reports Guus Hiddink is in London to hold discussions with the club about becoming their interim manager.
A West Palm Beach mother and her twin brothers were found dead just eight days after a judge denied the woman a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend and would be killer.The incident occurred Wednesday around 10 p.m. on Cole Street, just north of Belvedere and North Military Trail. Authorities responded to the scene to find 40-year-old Yasnai Moliner Yera and her two twin brothers dead inside of a home while Yera’s boyfriend and the father of her two-year-old son 41-year-old Yuniel Martinez De La Cotera, was standing next to a vehicle in the street. While several people are blaming the judge for not issuing a restraining order, a local domestic violence advocate spoke to our news partners at CBS12 and explained that even though Yera wrote a letter to the judge explaining that her ex-boyfriend was “emotionally and mentally abusing me,” it was not enough to gain a restraining order.“She is talking about him taking their money and him taking the car and him threatening to take the house and of course, for a lot of victims, those are immediate emergency type things. But they don’t meet the legal definition of domestic violence. There is nothing in here about whether he has threatened her life, threatened to harm her or that he actually did physically,” said Dr. Mary Cauthen, YWCA Chief Program Officer.Dr. Cauthen continued saying that under Florida law, a judge can only issue a restraining order if the victim can show they have been physically abused or are receiving threats of physical violence.While the judge did not immediately issue a restraining order to Yera, she was scheduled for a hearing about the case that was supposed to take place this week.Yuneil Martinez De La Cotera Leon is currently being held at the Palm Beach County Jail on three counts of first degree murder.
Outgoing British Prime Minister Theresa May and President Trump are holding a joint news conference in London.Trump cited this week’s 75th anniversary of D-Day, the allied invasion of Normandy, France.The massive military operation led to the end of World War Two.Trump said the allied invasion rescued civilization in the world.May noted that the invasion solidified the deep-rooted ties between the U.S. and Great Britain. Trump thanked Britain for assistance in the fight against ISIS and the effort to keep Iran from getting nuclear weapons.
Felix the one year old cat is in animal emergency …he’s been through the ringer. He rode it out inside the high efficiency front loading washer…it was on express wash, (warm wash, cold rinse). But the 12 pound cat was in there for the full 45 minute cycle.Finally, when his owner opened the door and heard a meow. Felix is now on oxygen support in the ICU unit. He was initially blinded by the soap, water and lack of air…oh ya and the spin cycle.Felix is still in critical condition, and his medical bills are mounting. They have set up a GoFundMe page to help defray the bills.
Blowing smoke at parks and playgrounds in Palm Beach County could soon become a thing of the past.Eric Call, the county’s director of parks and recreation, says the county commission plans to vote this October on a proposed vaping ban. He explains that the commission is reacting to the increasing popularity of e-cigarettes among young people.Call says, “I heard a statistic recently that 70% of high schoolers are actively engaged in some form of vaping, and that’s pretty amazing to me.”According to the U.S. surgeon general, e-cigarettes have become the most commonly used tobacco product among youth during the past five years, with more than 3.6 million vaping last year.Call believes it could be difficult, if not impossible, for law enforcement to monitor such large areas, which means the public could be asked to operate on an honor system. Offenders would face fines that would increase with each incident. He says, “Fifty dollars for the first occurrence, $100 for the second, $200 for the third and $300 for the fourth and any successive violations of that.”County commissioners will vote on the issue during their scheduled meeting on October 8.