Android Qs speech recognition aims to protect your privacy too

first_img 0 Share your voice Pixel 3A review: The cheap phone Google always needed Google Nest Hub Max: A higher-end smart display for Google Assistant Google Maps gets Incognito Mode Google’s next-gen Assistant is 10x faster, knows where your mom lives See all our Google I/O coverage Google I/O 2019 See All Aug 12 • Google will ask you to migrate your Nest account soon: Here’s what you need to know Google I/O 2019 Jul 10 • How to get Android 10 right now reading • Android Q’s speech recognition aims to protect your privacy too Android Q gets security updates without rebooting Jul 24 • Nest Hub Max: Google’s 10-inch Assistant smart display costs $230, debuts Sept. 9 Aug 26 • Android Q has a name: Android 10. Here’s how you’ll use it •center_img Google I/O 2019 A Google presenter describes the new Android feature that captions videos in real time. CNET Google unveiled new Android Q features Tuesday that it says can caption home videos in real time, with no internet connection needed. It’s possible because Google’s speech recognition software requires less processing power, so it can run on your phone or tablet, Google said.That comes with an added privacy benefit. Instead of streaming audio from your device to Google’s cloud servers, the content of your conversations stays on your device. “No audio stream ever leaves it,” Google’s Stephanie Cuthbertson said at the Google I/O developer conference Tuesday. “That protects user privacy.”That means Google’s machine learning software is getting more efficient, and one benefit for users is increased privacy. It’s a notable advance as major tech companies come under scrutiny for how much of our conversations they record and store on their own servers, and as Google itself is consolidating more data about users with its smart home products. Google’s new Nest Hub Max smart display has a camera. Can you trust it? Google Assistant is 10x faster and knows where your mom lives Human or bot? Google Duplex scares me 2:41 Google and your data Tags Post a comment Now playing: Watch this: Machine learning software is typically resource intensive. That’s because it has to analyze large amounts of data, like audio streams or language patterns in texts or emails, and respond immediately with things like captions, audio responses or suggested replies to emails — all things Android devices can do.The on-device machine learning is possible because of a “huge breakthrough in speech recognition” Google made earlier this year, Cuthbertson said. It applies to all of Google’s real-time captions, including for video you watch in apps or in a web browser. That lowered the processing power needed to run the software enough that Android could run it on your phone without quickly draining your battery. Mobile Smart Home Mobile Apps Smart Speakers & Displays Artificial intelligence (AI) Privacylast_img read more

Shahid Kapoor hikes his fee after Kabir Singh box office success

first_imgShahid KapoorInstagramWith Kabir Singh’s phenomenal success at the box office, Shahid Kapoor seems to have substantially hiked his fee to Rs 35 crore a film.According to a report in Mumbai Mirror, the actor, who was apparently charging Rs 30 crore a film, will now be charging Rs 35 crore.If this particular report turns out to be true, Shahid Kapoor will become one of the highest paid actors in Bollywood joining the likes of Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Akshay Kumar and Ranbir Kapoor.According to various reports, Salman apparently charges Rs 60 crore a film, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar charge between Rs 30-40 crore whereas Ranbir Kapoor charges Rs 30 crore a film.Kabir Singh has taken the box office by storm and has been rewriting record books not just in India but in the international market as well. The movie, directed by Sandeep Reddy Vanga, has, so far, collected Rs 243.17 crore in its third week and is all set to surpass the lifetime business of URI – The Surgical Strike.The movie has now become the 10th highest grossing films of all time in India pushing URI to the 11th spot.last_img read more

Govt sends letters to UK to bring back Tarique Minister

first_imgAH Mahmood AliThe government has sent several letters to the UK Home Office to bring convicted BNP acting chairman Tarique Rahman to Dhaka from London, a minister said.”This is a part of our ongoing process to bring back him (Tarique Rahman) … More than one letters have already been sent in this regard,” Foreign minister AH Mahmood Ali told journalists at a press conference at foreign ministry on Thursday.The minister said the foreign ministry has already got response from the UK Home Office regarding the letter.Mahmood said they are taking further steps and writing letters based on the responses from the British government.”It’s a continuous process, we will write more letters if needed (to bring back Tarique),” he saidThis disclosure came following state minister for foreign affairs M Shahriar Alam’s claim that BNP acting chairman Tarique Rahman handed over his passport to British authorities which was now under the disposal of Bangladesh’s home ministry.On 23 April, the state minister categorically said that Tarique handed over his passport along with those of his wife and daughter to the British Home Office which sent the travel documents to the Bangladesh High Commission in London on  2 June, 2014.”Tarique could have submitted his passport to Bangladesh High Commission in London for renewal or extension of validity. But, he submitted it to British Home Office. . .what does it mean? As a political person, I think it’s a refusal of nationality,” he said at a press briefing.Next day, BNP had to recognise that Tarique Rahman submitted his passport to the British Home Office as he got political asylum there.BNP acting chairperson Tarique Rahman has already been convicted in two cases of money laundering and corruption.He is also facing other cases, including the 21st August grenade attack on an Awami League rally in 2004 to assassinate Sheikh Hasina, the then leader of the opposition.last_img read more

BIWTA opens hotline to receive complaints

first_imgBangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) has launched a 24-hour hotline to stop passengers’ harassment at river ports and also to record complaints on pollution and illegal grabbing of rivers, reports UNB.Anyone can dial to the hotline on 01304004003 and 01304004006 from anywhere to record their grievances and complaints regarding the illegal occupation and pollution of Buriganga, Turag and Balu rivers.The service, launched on Monday night, is now available to citizens 24/7 a day, said a press release issued Tuesday.Earlier on 2 February, the High Court ordered that river encroachers cannot run in any elections or get bank loans in efforts to save rivers from greedy grabbers.The HC also ordered the government to make a list of every grabber in the country and publish the list in the media to expose them to the public.last_img read more

Should All Thefts Be Prosecuted Dallas Countys District Attorney Says No

first_img Share Christopher Connelly/KERA NewsDallas County District Attorney John Creuzot has pledged to use the prosecutor’s office to reform criminal justice in Dallas.If a poor person steals food or diapers or other essential items that they need but can’t afford to pay for, should they be prosecuted? Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot says no.It’s one of several new policy reforms that Creuzot calls a step toward ending mass incarceration, and possibly the most controversial. Creuzot launched his bid to unseat District Attorney Faith Johnson last year, pledging to roll back policies that lead to incarceration and disparities in the justice system, but have dubious public safety value.Last week, he announced the changes as a first step in fulfilling his campaign promises.In an open letter, Creuzot discussed his commitment to not charge some lower-level drug crimes, which are enforced more often when offenders are people of color. He outlined policy changes related to bail and probation aimed at reducing the number of people in jail.And he decried a justice system that criminalizes poverty. He said some prosecutions often punish people living in poverty, who are homeless, and who are mentally ill.An initiative by Creuzot is stopping prosecutions for theft of personal items worth less than $750. It only applies to necessary items, Creuzot says. Theft for economic gain or resale will be charged.“If they’re stealing $750 worth of diapers, let’s be honest: It’s going to take a lot of rear ends to put $750 worth of diapers on, so that probably doesn’t fit that category and so we would prosecute that case,” Creuzot said.Prosecuting poor people for stealing essential items wastes taxpayer money because they won’t come out any more financially stable after they serve their sentence, Creuzot said, and prosecution doesn’t help the business that is stolen from either.“The question is, if we put them in jail, are they going to pay restitution? You know what the answer is: No,” Creuzot said. “So we’ve burned up taxpayer money for a hungry person or a needy person under this fake premise that we’re going to get the money back. And it doesn’t happen.”Representatives from local law enforcement groups offered a mixed review of Creuzot’s policy changes, but were unequivocal about the theft policy. Mike Mata, from the Dallas Police Association, said functionally legalizing some thefts could have collateral consequences, like making store owners feel they need to stop people from stealing themselves if they don’t think that the crimes will be prosecuted.“Either that shop owner is going to have to take matters in his own hands, or he’s going to have to let $600 worth of merchandise walk out of his store,” Mata said. “And so that might force him to get engaged into an altercation that he shouldn’t.”Sheldon Smith, a Dallas Police Department sergeant and president of the National Black Police Association Dallas chapter, said he suspects thefts may have contributed to Walmart planning to close a southern Dallas location, and thefts could increase in mom-and-pop stores if people don’t expect to be prosecuted.“And so the little store owner, he has no chance of staying in business. And why would they? And who’s hurt in the end? The community’s hurt,” Smith said.At a press conference, Creuzot rejected the idea that prosecuting these thefts would preserve public safety. But he added that his office will be monitoring the effect of his new policies on public safety, and will adjust them if he doesn’t think they’re working.last_img read more