…to collaborate on hosting job fair in communitiesWhile remaining firm on its position to oppose the closure of the sugar industry, the Private Sector Commission (PSC) says it will now push to have health centres serving the sugar belt remained open.PSC President Eddie Boyer urged the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) not to close the health centres that serve sugar workers and their families in various communities.A section of the gathering at the forum on MondayThis call was made at the opening of a Business, Financial and Investment Forum and Clinic held at the Enmore Community Centre on Monday for ex-sugar workers.The PSC Head said that his organisation was deeply concerned about the developments taking place and would lend support wherever necessary to allow sugar workers the opportunity to get new jobs.“We are not supportive of closure. We fought that to the end and we are still fighting it. Now, I am going to ask that the health centres remain open for a long period, even when workers get their severance,” he said.Boyer added that he hoped issues pertaining to the National Insurance Scheme were also being ironed out in the transitioning process, so that workers do not lose out on their entitled benefits.In addition to that, the PSC Head stated that while there were opportunities, GuySuCo would have to assist in the process of getting some of these workers new jobs, as many of them are unskilled.“The Private Sector needs people and if we can pluck them out of here, fine. We are here because anything to do with sugar workers and GuySuCo, we will continue to be on board,” he said.PSC President Eddie BoyerMeanwhile, GuySuCo Corporate Communications Manager Audreyanna Thomas said the forum and clinic would expand to other areas in the sugar belt providing them with some support.Thomas said the event was mainly focused on helping the ex-sugar workers to decide on how they would spend or invest their severance to form meaningful small businesses and development.She said the institutions would help the workers and guide them on how best they could reinvest this “capital” (severance) they received after being fired. She said opportunities to take new and old loans would also be encouraged. This, she said, is part of GuySuCo’s Economic and Resilience programme.Several companies, including all the major banking institutions, were on the ground to assist.At the same event, Chairman of the Trade and Investments Committee of the PSC, Ramesh Dookhoo announced that his organisation would be hosting a job fair for displaced sugar workers.The first event would be hosted on Wednesday, January 31 at the Patentia Tarmac, West Bank Demerara in collaboration with the Region Three Chamber of Commerce and Industry.Dookhoo said while the fair would be primarily for these workers, it would also be opened to other persons who were generally having a tough time finding employment.He encouraged persons attending the event to walk with evidence of their academic qualifications, recommendations, NIS card, TIN certificate and police clearance.If this spin-off event proves successful, the PSC plans to host similar exercises in communities that will be impacted by the closures of sugar estates across the country.Some 20 local manufacturing and services companies are already onboard to participate in the fair. They include: National Hardware, Banks DIH, and Gafoors.In November, GuySuCo announced plans to dismiss thousands of workers. So far, some 4000-plus workers have been sent home. The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) claims that the downsizing and subsequent closure of sugar estates would lead to the loss of more than 15,000 jobs, and the potential threat of poverty for 50,000 to 100,000 people.The Special Purpose Unit (SPU), which forms part of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL), has been mandated to conduct evaluations, surveys and inventory assessments before any steps were taken to actually sell the estates.The SPU has since solicited the assistance of an international financial company to undertake these assessments as part of the plans to downsize the industry. While one local company has expressed an interest, there have been no other reports that other companies here may want to buy the estates.However, Minister Cathy Hughes has been quoted in the media as saying that several international oil companies have expressed an interest in buying some of the closed estates.
PIX: Gabrielle Gallagher: DONEGAL are a win away from returning to the National League Division One at the first time of asking after winning their semi-final play-off against a tough Westmeath outfit in Clones today.Davy McLaughlin’s side had been convincing winners over the same opposition just a few weeks ago, but there were always doubts over whether the Leinster side were really on show that day.And that proved to be the case as Donegal – who topped the table – faced stiff resistance this time around in the first half. Each side recorded just three scores in the opening period – but Donegal two goals and a point saw them lead 2-01 to 0-03 at the break.Whatever the Moville man said at half-time got the Donegal girls fired up and they eventually eased to a 3-10 to 1-04 victory, Yvonne McMonagle getting two of the goals with Amber Barrett also netting.They will now play Armagh in the Division 2 final in a fortnight’s time after the Orchard County recorded a 2-20 to 1-08 victory over Cavan.At Red Hughs today Cavan’s U16s saw off Donegal’s U16s in a very physical game in the Championship. The visitors led from start to finish in a game which saw a number of Donegal players injured.Cavan eventually won by eight points 0-11 to 0-03.The Donegal U14 Championship squadCavan also defeated Donegal’s U14s in the Championship as the local girls travelled to Templeport on Saturday.The well-drilled Cavan girls, who have been in development teams for six years, scored a goal after just 12 seconds and it took some time for the Donegal girls – making their championship debut – to settle.Donegal trailed by five points at the break and they put in a battling performance in the second half, were denied two clear penalty shouts and conceded two goals in the last minute to put a bit of a gloss on the Cavan win of 5-12 to 2-06. The girls host Tyrone next Saturday in Donegal – venue to be confirmed – needing a victory to progress in a Championship dominated this year by Cavan and Monaghan.The victorious U14 development teamThe U14 Development team continues to shine and the girls are an hour away from a final.The girls travelled to Kinawley on Saturday to take on Fermanagh and fought back from being down at half-time to win comfortably.Sabrina White’s girls now need a win over bottom-placed Armagh to set up a League Final against Down, a team they outplayed but ultimately lost out to in the first game of the season. Donegal U14 midfielder Niamh Skelly (Moville) rises to pick the ball out of the air against Cavan. Pic Gabrielle GallagherGaoth Dobhair’s Clodagh Gallagher bursting through against CavanAmy Boye Carr (N Conaill) has her shirt pulled as she runs at the Cavan defenceMya Alcorn (Termon) fires the ball to the back of the net for Donegal U14s v CavanSaoirse Bonner (N Muire) in action v CavanSarah Harkin (Ardara) starred for the U14s v CavanEllie Barron (St Mary’s Convoy) tried to get away from this tackle v CavanLADIES FOOTBALL: SENIOR TEAM THROUGH TO LEAGUE FINAL ON MIXED WEEKEND FOR TEAMS was last modified: April 26th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalLadies Football