Official reason for Kashmiri journalist’s arrest is challenged

first_img April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Help by sharing this information News 18.06.2002The hearings resumed in the Geelani case on 18 June. The journalist had been remanded in custody for a further three days on 15 June. According to V.K Ohri, Iftikhar Geelani’s lawyer, the documents seized from his client’s home had been available on the Internet since 1993. ______________________________________________________________11.06.2002Reporters Without Borders (Reporters Sans Frontières) called today for the release of Kashmiri journalist Iftikhar Ali Geelani and suggested his arrest was an attempt to restrict coverage of events in Kashmir.”Charging a Kashmiri journalist under the Official Secrets Act in present circumstances would seem an effort to intimidate any media which tries to report independently on the conflict in the province,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard in a letter to Indian interior minister Lal Krishna Advani.Calling on him to explain the arrest and charging of Geelani, who is New Delhi bureau chief of the Indian daily Kashmir Times and also correspondent for the Pakistani daily The Nation, he said the case against the journalist was “weak.”He also asked the minister to make a speedy inquiry into the beating-up of another Kashmiri journalist by Indian police who, he said, “seem incapable of putting a stop to a wave of physical attacks and attempts to kill journalists in Kashmir. It would be regrettable if the government allowed the climate of impunity enjoyed by these attackers to increase,” he added.Geelani was charged today under the secrets act and police were granted a further five days to hold him for questioning.  He was arrested on 9 June at his New Delhi home by tax department officers and police but was then accused of storing information in his laptop computer about India’s military presence in Kashmir.  He pointed out that this material was from a 1997 US State Department report and had already been published in the Indian daily The Hindu. The daily Hindustan Times said the journalist had admitted to his interrogators that he worked for Pakistani intelligence but this has not been confirmed by other sources.  Many Kashmiri journalists, as well as the New Delhi journalists’ union, have condemned his arrest, which came soon after the detention of his father-in-law, Kashmiri leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who has been charged under an anti-terrorist law and accused of being in the pay of Pakistani intelligence.Another Kashmiri journalist, Mohammad Yusuf Dar, a reporter for the Daily Excelsior in Jammu (Kashmir), was beaten and insulted by police and detained for two hours on 10 June. The independent English-language daily Kashmir Images said he was arrested on his way home.Police have still not made any serious investigation into the attempt to kill Zafar Iqbal, of Kashmir Images, who was shot and seriously wounded by masked men at his office in Srinagar on 29 May.  His colleagues told Reporters Without Borders that police had made no effort to guard the paper’s offices and made no inquiry into the shooting. News IndiaAsia – Pacific In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival March 3, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Indiacenter_img June 18, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Official reason for Kashmiri journalist’s arrest is challenged IndiaAsia – Pacific June 10, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts News RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 Organisation to go further India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s medialast_img read more

FA Fines Chelsea, Tottenham

first_imgThat incident was missed by the match officials but captured by television cameras, with Dembele subsequently hit with a six-match ban.Chelsea came from two goals down to ensure a share of the spoils, with Eden Hazard’s 83rd minute equaliser confirming Leicester City as Premier League champions at Tottenham’s expense.In a statement confirming the punishment, the FA referenced four separate breaches by Chelsea under rule E20 since November 2014, alongside two offences from Tottenham during the same period.Chelsea and Tottenham were also warned with regards to their future conduct following an independent regulatory commission hearing.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Football Association has fined Chelsea and Tottenham £375,000 and £225,000 respectively for failing to control their players during the 2-2 Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge on May 2.Both clubs have admitted three breaches of FA rule E20 in relation to incidents in the 45th and 87th minutes of a heated London derby.During the first confrontation, featuring numerous players from each side after a challenge between Willian and Danny Rose, Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele attempted to eye-gouge Chelsea striker Diego Costa.last_img read more