The cases triggered recalls of raw almonds by Paramount Farms, Lost Hills, Calif., totaling about 13 million pounds by May 21. Most of the almonds probably were eaten months ago, but consumers may still have some of them, since their shelf life is more than a year, the CDC said. “Among 26 patients interviewed, 24 recalled eating raw almonds during the week before illness onset; 20 patients identified brands packaged or supplied by Paramount Farms,” the article states. Through store computer records, dates and places of almond purchase were identified in 10 cases. US and Canadian epidemiologists and health officials were notified of the outbreak, and laboratories were asked to check for reports of Salmonella Enteritidis organisms matching the outbreak strain, the CDC says. By Jun 2, 29 patients with Salmonella Enteritidis infections matching the two PFGE patterns had been found in 12 states and one Canadian province. “The current outbreak continued for months, and possibly for more than 1 year, without being detected,” the CDC says. The first clue to the outbreak emerged May 12, when an Oregon state laboratory identified five patients infected with Salmonella enterica serotype Enteritidis organisms that were matched by using two-enzyme pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), the article says. The only previous salmonellosis outbreak associated with tree nuts was discovered in 2001, when raw almonds were linked to Salmonella Enteritidis cases, mostly in Canada, according to the CDC. The almonds were traced to three California orchards that were all contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis with identical phage and PFGE patterns. Investigators have not yet found Salmonella contamination in almonds from Paramount Farms, the CDC reports. Tests of almonds recovered from one patient’s home and samples collected at Paramount were negative. However, Salmonella was found in one environmental sample collected at Paramount and in three samples from two almond huller-shellers that supplied Paramount during the outbreak period. PFGE tests of those samples have not yet been completed. Seven of the patients were hospitalized, but no one died, the CDC states in a supplement to Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. A number of cases that occurred earlier in 2003 and involved Salmonella strains matching the outbreak strain are still under investigation. Jun 4, 2004 (CIDRAP) An investigation of Salmonella illness cases associated with raw almonds has identified 29 cases in 12 states and one Canadian province, dating back as far as September 2003, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported today. CDC. Outbreak of Salmonella serotype Enteritidis infections associated with raw almondsUnited States and Canada, 2003-2004. MMWR 2004;53(Dispatch):1-3 [Full text] The article notes that California produces about 80% of the world’s almonds and almost all almonds sold in the United States. The almonds subject to recall, besides being sold domestically, were exported to France, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom. Lengthy interviews with the patients about their eating and shopping in the days before their illness revealed that all had eaten Kirkland Signature raw almonds bought at Costco stores and that they had no other food exposures in common. By examining data from general food-consumption surveys in Oregon, investigators determined that an association between the five cases and the almonds was highly probable. The CDC says it is not clear how almonds become contaminated with Salmonella, and California and federal officials are continuing to investigate. “Typical harvesting, drying, and hulling-shelling practices readily enable cross-contamination,” the agency says.
Topics : “Thank God I’ve recovered. I’m quite grateful for the hospital and team of doctors who worked tirelessly to take care of me” said Budi said during a virtual press conference with the medical team of the hospital on Monday.Budi said the hospital had a top-notch medical team. “The doctors are so kind and have a good personal approach, and I think this can be a good example for other hospitals, ” he added.The deputy head of the hospital, Dr. Budi Sulistya, said the minister received treatment at the hospital from March 13 to March 31. “Thanks to the support of his family and the team of doctors, Pak Budi has recovered,” said Budi Sulistya.“As of today, he has been tested twice for COVID-19 and based on the recovery criteria; he is now free from COVID-19. Pak Budi is under post-recovery treatment. With his current condition, he is able to work from home while under the monitoring and care of our doctors,” he said. The minister self-isolated for 14 days at his home after being discharged from the hospital at the end of March. On Monday, the minister, for the first time, took part in a Cabinet meeting following his COVID-19 treatment. Budi said he would return to his official duties on May 5.The government announced on March 14 that Budi, who has long suffered from asthma, had tested positive for COVID-19. Budi is the only Indonesian minister to have contracted COVID-19.During Budi’s treatment, Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan was appointed acting transportation minister.Before the announcement that Budi had tested positive for COVID-19, the minister had been absent from a number of events. Prior to that, he had been on a number of official trips, including a visit to Kertajati Airport in West Java and Luwu and Toraja in South Sulawesi. He was also active in the evacuation of Indonesian crew members from the virus-stricken cruise ship Diamond Princess on March 2.Dr. Ketty Herawati Sultana, 60, among doctors who treated Minister Budi when he was taken to Meistra Hospital in Jakarta in mid-March, died from COVID-19 on April 4. The minister was diagnosed as having typhoid fever when he was treated at the hospital. Dr. Ketty and several other medical personal contracted COVID-19 soon after treating him.The minister was then transferred to the army hospital for further treatment. Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi has expressed his gratitude to the doctors and medical team at Gatot Soebroto Army Hospital in Jakarta for their hard work and dedication in helping him recover from COVID-19.Recalling his experience while receiving treatment at the hospital, Budi said if it was not for the medical team, he might have not survived.“At the Transportation Ministry, seven people had tested positive for COVID-19 and we did not know where we got the virus from but I was the oldest at 63 years old,” he said in Jakarta on Monday, suggesting that his age made him more vulnerable to the disease.
New Delhi: Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has said that the government will try to push for the inclusion of Kabaddi in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. “Kabaddi is a perfect example of how an indigenous sport has grown successfully. This I feel is the beginning of the sports culture that we envisaged for India which is now becoming a reality,” Rijiju said while speaking on KBD Live at Star Sports Studio on Sunday. “We will definitely push hard for Kabaddi to be part of the next Olympics as we are a billion plus powerful nation and so for this to become possible, we will have to put all our efforts together, but I am very confident about it.” He did not elaborate on how this will be done but including a new sport in the Olympic roster is a long-drawn and cumbersome process, which also requires intense lobbying. A sport will have to first get recognition from the International Olympic Committee. Then, its governing body will have to become a recognised International Federation (IF) of the IOC.Also Read | Pro Kabaddi League: UP Yoddha beat Dabang Delhi KC 50-33The sport’s IF will then apply for admittance as an Olympic sport by filing a petition establishing its criteria of eligibility to the IOC. Moreover, after a vote of the IOC Session on June 25 in Lausanne, the IOC has said that no further sports can be put forward for inclusion on the programme of the 2024 Olympic Games. As Olympic host country, Paris 2024 submitted its proposal to include breaking, sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing on the Olympic programme to the IOC. After an evaluation by the Olympic Programme Commission, the IOC Executive Board will make the final decision on the existing events and proposed new events in December 2020.Also Read | Pro Kabaddi League: Warriors Close Points Gap With Delhi, Mumbai Beat ThalaivasIndia has always been a dominant force in Kabaddi, which is part of the Asian Games. Seven-time champions Indian men’s team claimed a bronze at the Jakarta Asian Games held in Indonesia last year, while the women’s team settled for a silver after being beaten by Iran in the final. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.