Senate rejects resolution to increase club funding

first_imgFollowing a contentious debate Monday evening, Notre Dame’s student senate rejected a resolution to increase funding for student clubs and organizations. The resolution proposed to reallocate three percent of the Student Union organizations’ budgets toward other student clubs and organizations, cutting the Student Union budget by approximately $30,000. Opponents to the resolution argued that the budget cuts would hamstring Student Union organizations.“If we force these class councils to become profit-seeking, it corrupts their mission. Our goal is just to unite the class,” Sam Cannova, president of the Sophomore Class Council, said. Student body president Gates McGavick and vice president Corey Gayheart campaigned on a promise to increase funding for student organizations. Since taking office, the two have faced major financial obstacles to fulfilling that promise.“This isn’t going to solve all our problems, because clearly there’s a way larger financial need than we have resources to meet,” Gayheart said of the resolution. Ultimately, a majority of senators concluded that the problems the resolution posed for the Student Union organizations outweighed the benefits it promised other clubs. But many student government leaders saw the vote as a lost opportunity. Alyssa Ngo, chair of the Diversity Council, said that diversity clubs desperately need more funding. The Asian American Association, which last year requested $3,500 in funds from the Club Coordination Council (CCC), was only granted $150, Ngo said.“Especially with the emphasis, this year and in general, on Notre Dame supporting diversity and inclusion, these aren’t really clubs that we can [cut funding from],” Ngo said. But other senators worried that the reallocated funds might not be redirected toward diversity clubs or minority student organizations. “Student clubs have a more than $340,000 budget. Where is it going?” Welsh Family senator Lindsay McCray asked. “Why are we hammering on this topic and saying that it will help the diversity clubs when we have no evidence that it will?”McCray criticized the closed-meeting policy of the CCC, which decides how to allocate annual funding for student clubs and organizations. “Because of their bylaws, the CCC will not release any financial information,” McCray said in a comment following the meeting. “I understand that people want more funding for clubs — I do too — but before we make budget cuts to other organizations, we need financial transparency from the CCC so we know how the money we give them is being spent.”According to Samantha Scaglione, the president of the CCC, all undergraduate clubs and organizations collectively projected $2.2 million in expenses last year. The Financial Management Board only granted the CCC $339,000 to distribute between more than 400 clubs. With a limited budget and massive student need, the CCC cannot meet every club’s requests.“Everyone here is doing great work, and unfortunately, we’re left fighting over the scraps right now,” Gayheart said. Although Monday’s debate hinged on a small reallocation of funds, it illuminated the staggering funding scarcity that Notre Dame student organizations currently face.In an interview after the meeting, Gayheart said that he and McGavick are working to develop alternative solutions to this problem. McGavick and Gayheart plan to work with the CCC to ensure funding is being used efficiently, and they hope to develop targeted funding campaigns for student organizations.“We’re not doing this because it was a campaign promise … We’re doing this because there’s very clearly a need that’s not being met,” Gayheart said. Tags: Class Council, Club Coordination Council, funding, Notre Dame Student Senatelast_img read more

Hapoel Ra’anana sign Nigerian teenager Olawale

first_img Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical8 Things You Didn’t Know About CoffeeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeRidiculously Expensive Things The Rock Spends His Money On6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True10 Awesome TV Series That Got Cancelled Way Too Soon6 Most Unforgettable Bridges In The World6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreLil Nas X Is About To Beat A World Record! Loading… Nonetheless, he signed for the Israeli outfit for an undisclosed fee. The Liga Leumit side confirmed the news via their official Twitter handle which read: “We are pleased to announce the signing of 18-year-old winger Peter Olawale. “Olawale, a former player of the Nigerian U17 national team was wanted by renowned teams like Borussia Dortmund and Besiktas but finally chose to sign with Hapoel Raanana.” Speaking about the move, the striker tweeted: “I’m proud to join Hapoel Raanana FC where I believe my talent will be fully groomed for a greater future. I promise to put in my very best to justify the club’s trust in my abilities. I’m happy to be in Israel.” Hapoel Ra’anana have confirmed the signing of Nigerian teenager, Peter Olawale, from Tripple 44 Academy. Following an impressive outing at the 2019 U17 Fifa World Cup staged in Brazil, where the Golden Eaglets crashed out in the Round of 16, the striker attracted interest from a host of European teams like Borussia Dortmund, Lille, Galatasaray and Anderlecht. His manager and mentor, Samuel Olatunji-Okuku, added: “Olawale is a classy player who is blessed with enormous talent and can be used in various attacking positions by Ra’anana. “He has been under my watch for over three years and I can beat my chest when it comes to his technical skills as well as good physical toughness. “In Israel, he will gain valuable experience and hopefully in no time, he will be set for a move to any of Europe’s big teams.” At the Karnei Oren Memorial Field, he is expected to develop his all-round game, while he will be relied upon for goals in the 2020-21 campaign – as the club chase a return to the Israeli top-flight following their demotion in the 2019-20 season. read also:NFF stops Beach Eagles from international outings Meanwhile, Olawale began training with Gal Cohen’s team where he scored four goals in a practice match. He becomes the third African in the Hapoel Ra’anana after compatriot Bede Osuji and Gambian forward Ousman Marong. The youngster will feature in his first competitive game when Beitar Tel Aviv Bat Yam welcomes Hapoel Ra’anana to the Ness Ziona Stadium as the Israeli league commences on September 2. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

We must beat Scotland – O’Neill

first_img “We got the momentum going, the crowd stayed with us throughout – I thought they were terrific – and we are still in the competition.” Poland boss Adam Nawalka was understandably disappointed to see his side succumb at the death, but pleased with the performance. Nawalka said: “We won a point at a very difficult ground to play at, so we are happy. Of course, we conceded a goal in added time and that definitely hurt. “It was a battle and until the end, we fought that battle. We lost a goal at the very last minute in added time, but all the players fought up until then very hard. “Overall, I believe the result was a fair scoreline. We played a very good first half and maybe lacked a bit of quality, but overall, we are content with a draw. “Three points were really close, but one point is also a good result. It’s no surprise that Ireland came back to score an equaliser because the other results show that they know how to play to the end and get a result in their favour at the end of the game.” Shane Long’s last-gasp equaliser snatched a 1-1 draw with Group D leaders Poland at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday night and kept alive Ireland’s hopes of claiming one of the two automatic qualification places. However, they now sit in fourth place in the group – three points behind the Poles and two adrift of Germany and the Scots, making the showdown with Gordon Strachan’s side in Dublin crucial. O’Neill said: “Naturally, it’s a very, very important game. I think we’d have to beat Scotland. I think it probably just boils down to that – we have to win that game. “If the second-half showing is anything to go by, I think we are capable of doing it. “Whatever we may lack, courage and spirit are not among them. I don’t think it’s a fluke now that we have scored late goals in games. That’s three times now we have scored recently in the last few moments. We also hit the bar against Scotland. “I know they are cliched phrases, but it does show something about the character of the team. At least we keep going right to the end, and who knows? Who knows, (the draw against Poland) might be an important point.” Slawomir Peszko looked to have maintained Poland’s charge towards the finals with his 26th-minute strike giving them an advantage they maintained until stoppage time at the end of the game. However, having twice been rescued by the post as first Robbie Brady and then Robbie Keane were denied, substitute Long stabbed home a priceless 91st-minute equaliser to rescue a point and keep Ireland’s hopes of a top-two finish alive. O’Neill, who saw John O’Shea deny Germany in similar fashion in October, said: “We started off tentatively in the game. We were a little bit nervous and, just when we started to get into the game we conceded, from our viewpoint, a very poor goal which puts you on the back foot. “But our second-half performance was simply terrific. We dominated from the 45th minute to the 90th and we put Poland on the back foot. We created a number of chances – we certainly deserved at least a draw in the game, and perhaps we could easily have won it maybe if there had been a few more minutes left. Martin O’Neill is targeting victory over Scotland in June to ignite the Republic of Ireland’s bid to make the Euro 2016 finals. Press Associationlast_img read more

Man United boss Van Gaal allays Di Maria injury fears

first_imgManchester United manager has allayed any fears over an early injury scare for summer signing Angel di Maria, after his Premier League debut was brought to a premature end against Burnley.The Argentine winger, who arrived in a British record £60million switch from Real Madrid last week, lasted 75 minutes before hobbling off at Turf Moor.However, with fans fearing for the worst for their new star forward, Van Gaal insists his substitution was only a precaution.“Di Maria took a kick to his calf and I didn’t want to take any risks with him,” said the Red Devils boss following the 0-0 draw against the top flight newcomers.“He’s played for 90 minutes only once for Real Madrid [since returning from the World Cup] so I think it was better to bring him off.”It appeared fellow midfielder Juan Mata also suffered against the Clarets, with the playmaker also pulled off in the final stages with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.But Van Gaal also played down any injury concerns for the Spaniard.He added: “Mata is ok, he had a little bit of cramp and I also thought it was better to bring him off.”last_img read more

Go back to the enewsletter Since the partnership

first_imgGo back to the e-newsletterSince the partnership between Starwood Hotels & Resorts, and United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) started back in 1995, $35 million has been raised and donated to help UNICEF improve the lives of more than 4.5 million children across the globe. This year, unlike previous years, Starwood Bali Complex: The St. Regis Bali Resort and The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, are joining together to create a single event in support of UNICEF: An Extraordinary Moonlight Dinner.The charity dinner will commence on Saturday 15 October 2016 at The St. Regis Bali Resort’s beachfront Cloud Nine Terrace. The romantic oceanfront outdoor venue will provide guests with a glamorous, yet natural setting, enhanced with shimmering torches and illuminated by the bright moonlight and stars to create a memorable evening. Start the evening with complimentary aperitifs and canapés during twilight at the grass lawn by the beach from 6pm before dinner starts at 7pm. Featuring a six-course dinner (including amuse-bouche) complete with wine pairing, the menu will be crafted by five internationally renowned chefs: celebrity chefs Farah Quinn, Chef Mandif M. Warokka from Teatro Gastroteque, Chef Kevin Cherkas from Cuca Bali, Chef Agung Ardiawan from The St. Regis Bali Resort and Chef Made Putra from The Laguna.A live auction with various prizes from resort stays to exclusive goods, from both local and international venues and providers will be performed by an auctioneer in between main course and dessert. The resort’s resident pianist and vocalist, Grace Nathalie, will complement the dinner with their soulful jazzy tunes.Go back to the e-newsletterlast_img read more