Dinnage turns her back on Premier League CEO role

first_imgIt was planned that Dinnage, currently the global president of Discovery’s Animal Planet brand, would take over from Scudamore, in charge for 19 years, early in 2019.Quite why she has rejected the high-profile position remains unclear, with a Premier League statement issued Sunday simply saying: “Despite her commitment to the Premier League in early November, Susanna Dinnage has now advised the nominations committee that she will not be taking up the position of chief executive.”This was a far cry from Dinnage’s comments following the initial announcement of her appointment last month, when she said: “With the support of clubs and the team, I look forward to extending the success of the League for many years to come.When Scudamore took over as chief executive in 1999, the Premier League’s domestic television rights deal was worth around £670 million.The latest deal for rights between 2019 and 2022 sold for more than £4.5 billion.While the vast majority of that money still comes from television giants Sky and BT, it also includes the sale of 20 matches to retail giant Amazon’s streaming service for the first time.Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Burnley chairman Mike Garlick and Leicester chief executive Susan Whelan led the recruitment process, with Buck describing Dinnage as “the outstanding choice” from a “very strong field” of candidates.Now, however, the Premier League will have to re-open the search for Scudamore’s successor.“The committee has reconvened its search and is talking to candidates,” the Premier League statement issued Sunday also said.“There will be no further comment until an appointment is made.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Susanna Dinnage will no longer be the new chief executive of the Premier League despite having previously accepted the position © GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File / AMANDA EDWARDSLONDON, United Kingdom, Dec 30 – Susanna Dinnage has shocked English football by deciding she no longer wants to be the chief executive of the Premier League despite previously accepting the post.Dinnage, a television executive, was announced as the successor to the long-serving Richard Scudamore in November, with her appointment hailed as a major step forward for women in sports administration.last_img read more

Wimbledon 2017: Venus Williams breaks down in tears after win over Elise Mertens

first_imgVenus Williams broke down in tears during her post-match news conference at Wimbledon on Monday when asked about a recent motoring incident she was involved in, which led to the death of a 78 year old Florida man.Williams, who won her first-round match against Belgian Elise Mertens in straight sets, was asked about her feelings regarding the incident.”There are really no words to describe, like, how devastating and…yeah. I’m completely speechless. It’s just – yeah, I mean, I’m just,” said the American before breaking down in tears and leaving the room.The five-times Wimbledon champion returned shortly afterwards to finish off the compulsory media briefing.News of the fatal incident near her home in Palm Beach Gardens surfaced on Thursday.Palm Beach Gardens police released a preliminary report saying she was the driver at fault in a June 9 accident that left Jerome Barson, a passenger in the other car, with fatal injuries.After the crash, Barson was taken to a Florida trauma center where he died 13 days later, according to the Palm Beach county medical examiner.The police report estimated Williams was travelling at about 5 miles per hour (8 kph) at the time of impact and was not distracted or suspected of any drug or alcohol use.Before breaking down in the news conference, Williams had been asked several questions about her emotions in the past month but had avoided directly addressing the matter.”Life, you can’t prepare for everything. I prepared for a lot of matches, tried to get ready for whatever my opponent will throw at you, but you can’t prepare for everything,” she said.advertisement”I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. That’s all I can say about it. That’s what I’ve learned,” she said to another question on how she was handling the situation.Last week Williams released a statement on Facebook saying that she was “heartbroken” and “devastated” by the death of Barson.Williams also said she was missing her sister Serena who is on a break from the game while she is pregnant.”I miss her a lot. I think she misses me,” she said.The 37-year-old American faced a tenacious opponent as she began her bid for a sixth Wimbledon singles title with a 7-6(7), 6-4 victory.While a nervous Mertens struggled early, going 3-0 down in the first set, the 21-year-old, ranked 54th in the world, battled back to force a tiebreak which Williams won 9-7.Williams, who last won Wimbledon in 2008, was unable to convert two match points in the second set before a rain break, but she returned to serve out for victory.last_img read more